Friday, January 22, 2010

So a kid says to me...

Miss, why don't you like anyone or want anyone to touch you? and I reply what do you mean? and he says you don't like students to hug you or touch you in any way... in fact you avoid touch at all costs... and I say "that's the way it has to be, look at all of the stories of teachers who are accused and sometimes wrongfully, of touching students inappropriately. Or teachers who actually end up having relationships with their students? what the hell is that about? and I don't want to be accused of anything like that so I don't want to be touched at all."

Isn't it sad that we have come to this in our world? Touching is probably one of the most healing experiences that anyone can have, and we as educators cannot afford to be affectionate with kids because of the society we live in. It's terrible that we have come to an era where students and teachers have to be extra careful about the relationships that are built. I am careful about the conversations that students want to have, about who speaks to me where, and when, I am even careful about emails that are sent between students and myself. I hate that we have come to a place where students, who spend most of their day with teachers, cannot confide or build on relationships in anyway besides grading papers and reading books.

Sometimes kids have issues that need a little TLC and we can't give that to them, which is incredibly sad... just thought about how weird I probably look leaning away from someone that I am afraid will brush up on me in some way LOL... ah well ce la vie... can't do anything about the way humanity has developed. Just thought that maybe if I said it aloud I would be able to organize a way to make it a little better.

Lets keep hoping
xoxo
Lulu ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment